What is networking?
Networking in the context of computers refers to the exchange of data and transportation of the same through various nodes within a system of information. This is done through a shared medium.
Networking in simple words
In simple words, networking can be defined as the transfer of data between two or among more computer systems that are linked together.
Difference between network and networking
Network refers to the collection of various computer systems that have been linked with each other through a common connection, which is done to be able to send and receive data or information. While networking refers to the creation or establishment of such a network.
Various Computer Networks
Now let’s have a look at various computer networks available.
- Local Area Networks (LANs): In LANs, the computers are located quite close to the geographical point of view. These can be in the same building. For example, factories, offices and certain groups of buildings keep and use this kind of network. LANs are private networks and carry a good amount of speed when compared with that of the WAN.
- Wide Area Networks (WANs): Here, the distance among the systems is much more and they are connected through telephone lines or radio waves. One important point to be noted about WANs is that these can be both private as well as public leased networks.
- Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs): MANs refers to the network that is designed for a whole city or a town. So these can be used by all those devices in that town or city that have a connection of this network. MAN is a bigger and better version of LAN only and makes use of the same technology as that of the LAN.
- Campus Area Networks (CANs): This refers to the network within a campus or some military area. Again the geographic distance is much less among the systems. A CAN actually is a network of networks. It is smaller than MAN and WAN but is a network of multiple interconnected local area networks or LAN.
- Home Area Networks (Hans): Home area networks refer to the networks within a person’s house. This one connects the devices present in the house. A small area is what is under the network coverage of HAN. So small offices and homes come under this category.
There are many more kinds of networks, namely PAN or personal area network, WLAN or wireless local area network, SAN or storage area network and system area network also called SAN.
Advantages Of Networking
Networking is responsible for changing the complete scenario of the way the world goes. The result is the technological development we see today.
Various benefits networking provides are hardware sharing, file sharing, network gaming, excellent communication and application sharing.
Besides the above-mentioned advantages, there are some obvious benefits as well. These include the availability of economical networking and hassle-free information sharing. People can now get better access to the internet and also keep things more personal. Storage can be done offline and anybody can get connected with computer networks.
Disadvantages Of Networking
There are innumerable benefits of networking, but nothing comes at zero cost.
Problems like poor network connection, disruptions, and bad quality connection can be there affecting the work. It can be addictive and lead to the spread of negative knowledge. Some cost is definitely needed to carry on the work on any network.
The world cannot survive without networking now. There are experts working on minimizing the drawbacks and bringing solutions to even the smallest of them.